Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Opportunity to Speak

This morning I was given the opportunity by Chaz Freutel to speak to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) huddle at Sells MS in downtown Dublin, OH. I brought my son Zach along for the experience since he's a sixth grader.
I told the group of fifty 6-8 graders about two humorous athletic mishaps in my past. The one was receiving a soccer trophy for most goals scored...on my own net. Yep, I played defence and didn't know the strength of my own kick. The other you'll have to ask me about in person b/c it's a little messy.
I was asked to speak about politics so I compared the political world of Jesus and the Apostle Paul's day with our own. Back then an emperor demanding his people's worship sent followers of Christ to their deaths while today we in the USA rarely feel the sting of persecution for our faith. Three passages of Scripture I read from were Romans 13:1-7, I Timothy 2:1-4, and Titus 3:1,2. Though they were hated and terribly mistreated, the Word of God clearly instructed Christians two thousand years ago to obey and pray for those ruling over them.
Today we must also recognize that those in authority over us were put there by God to accomplish His sovereign will: from parents to police officers to presidents. One qualifier I brought up was that of a human authority telling us to do something that is contrary to God's Word.

i.e. you must have an abortion or you may not speak of Jesus Christ. In situations like these, God's Word trumps man's law.
I closed with my life verse, Proverbs 3:5,6, and encouraged the teens to know God by knowing His Word.

No comments: