Friday, April 10, 2009

3rd Grade Seder Feast

Yesterday I spoke at the 3rd Grade Seder feast for Worthington Christian Schools. Three years ago I was given the same opportunity when my son Zach was in third grade. I done it every year since and this year my twin daughters were in the room as well as my wife Melissa.
I was asked to talk about the Passover meal, the Seder feast, that God instructed the Jews to eat as a memorial to them being set free by Pharaoh in Egypt. The feast was first eaten on the night of the 10th plague God sent on the land of Egypt: the plague of the death of the first born. It's found in Exodus 12. The Jews were to kill a one year old male lamb without defect and use its blood to mark the top and both sides of the doorposts so that the angel of death would "pass-over" the home. A very clear connection can be made about Christ being the last sacrificial lamb when we read John the Baptist's words in John 1:29, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!".
After I spoke we parents joined our children and re-enacted some of the meal as the children read some of the symbolic themes off cue cards.

No comments: